One of the first projects I shared on The Mormon Home was our ward Priesthood Preview–about two years ago! Those printables were overdue for an update and I really like the new look I’m sharing here today. Feel free to use for your ward, print, and share!
I could not be more thrilled with the new directions we’ve received about the Priesthood Preview including both boys and girls. The “tie” imagery seems very wrong (and doctrinally not sound, right?) so it’s no longer available.
Here’s the link: https://www.lds.org/callings/primary/temple-and-priesthood-preparation?lang=eng
I also really like this interview for more clarifying comments regarding women and the priesthood:
Here’s the text:
Each year, a meeting called Temple and Priesthood Preparation is held for 11-year-old boys and girls together. Their parents are also invited. The purpose is to help these children understand the blessings of temple service, priesthood service, and making and keeping sacred covenants. Possible topics for the meeting include priesthood purposes, responsibilities, ordinances, and blessings; helping boys strengthen their commitment to prepare to receive the priesthood; helping boys and girls understand their opportunities to participate in the work of salvation; and encouraging children to prepare to receive a limited-use temple recommend when they turn 12 and to participate worthily in proxy baptisms as their circumstances allow.
Below are some resources and guidelines to assist you in planning the meeting.
- Mosiah 18:8–11 (covenants)
- Doctrine and Covenants 20:38–60 (duties of priesthood holders)
- Thomas S. Monson, “The Holy Temple—a Beacon to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2011, 90–94
- Thomas S. Monson, “Blessings of the Temple,” Ensignor Liahona, May 2015, 91–93
- Dallin H. Oaks, “The Keys and Authority of the Priesthood,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 49–52
- Quentin L. Cook, “Roots and Branches,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 44–48
- “The Priesthood Can Bless Our Lives,” lesson 47 in Primary 5
- “Temple Challenge” (video, 2:08)
- The Primary presidency plans the meeting under the direction of the bishopric.
- A member of the bishopric conducts the meeting, and at least one member of the Primary presidency attends.
- Other leaders, including members of the deacons quorum presidency, the Beehive class presidency, and Young Men and Young Women presidencies, may also attend.
- If a ward has very few 11-year-olds, the meeting may be held, under the direction of the stake presidency, with other wards or with the entire stake.
- According to local needs, the meeting may be held on a Sunday evening, as part of a Primary meeting on Sunday, or at another time.